Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day Fourteen: Strangely Dim

Instead of writing about a chapter of the Bible or really even writing about fasting, I'd like to share the words of one of my very favorite hymns:


Turn your eyes upon Jesus 
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things on earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

I don't know what things on earth are overshadowing you right now. Personal frustrations, illness, pain, broken relationships, loneliness, natural disasters where tens of thousands of lives are lost. The things of this world are heavy and horrible sometimes. But Jesus invites us to turn to Him. To look full into His face. Wouldn't you love those things that are weighing you down to fade away? Wouldn't you love for them to disappear? I don't know how it works in each case, but I have found this hymn to be true over and over in my life. If I turn away from the junk and turn toward Him, strangely, it does in fact grow dim.

I pray that you will focus fully on Him for these remaining days. I pray that you will see His unspeakably beautiful face. I pray that all the cares of this world that are pressing in on you or distracting you from following Him will fade away. That the light of His glory and grace will eclipse everything else.

1 comments:

Bea said...

"Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus" always pulls me in, when I am struggling. What perfect advice for us all!!!