Monday, January 5, 2009

fast day five: Daniel 2, verse 24 on

OK, so my initial reaction to how Daniel handles himself in this section is just awe at his humility and extraordinary tact. If I had just pulled off what Daniel did, I would have wanted to end my speech with a holla' to all of the failed wise men whose lives I had just saved, "How you like me now?" with my hands up like some sort of cocky rapper. The personal application of this part of the chapter for me comes from that. Daniel did the impossible giving all the glory to God and, which I also like, making sure to take care of his three boys.

For the rest of it, you just see an intro into the fabulous futuristic snapshots this book contains. This one contains a clear portrayal of the Messiah as the rock that crushes all earthly kingdoms and continues throughout the remainder of earthly histories to dominate and expand. But be forewarned, as we go through some of the others, you can either get yourself more confused than ever by reading everything about Daniel you find online, or you can become more resolved than ever that God is in control in Daniel's life, in our lives, and in the writing, assembly, translation, preservation, and ultimate authority of this book we call the Bible.

So for today, think about where you stand on the issue of the authority and accuracy of God's Word. Do you believe in its truth 100% even against charges of factual errors? Do you make exceptions for historical context or some things just not being literal? Or do you think it's got authority over your life but isn't necessarily accurate as a historical document? I'm curious.

If you are in the 100% category with me, welcome to a very small percentage of the Christian population. Even though believing flies in the face of my logical tendencies, I've already chosen to believe in the virgin birth, the resurrection, and any number of other miracles. So why would I let a few clay fragments and atheist archaeologists sway me at this point? I may be in the minority, but I just might get a chance in eternity to stand next to Daniel and say to all of the nay-sayers, "How you like me now?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not one to usually say anything but I definitely see me giving them the eye and BIG grin. I am so 100% on the Word of God being the ultimate truth. I do not see how one can argue with it. The only area I see that can be of a tender issue is the legality of it. God is a God of mercy. There was a time when as a Jehovah's Witness that it was more black & white to me than it is now. Works was such a stronghold on that life. When Jesus saved me..it was totally by His gift not anything of myself. Many of my friends interpret His Word in some areas a bit different than I do.

I am 100% follower of Jesus Christ and His Word. It is what I strive to walk in daily and it is only my imperfections that cause me not to line up with it...but that is why I know He died for me. If it was up to me..I have failed. It is why I owe my life to Jesus and I give it to Him with all my passion.

Bea said...

AMEN, AMEN, AND AMEN!

Bea said...

I put the WORD as first and final authority in my life in all areas and it works!!!!
We have lived without doctors, mortgages, shrinks and the rest of the world system provision, and have seen God's faithfulness to HIS WORD daily. I love the life I'm living.