Saturday, January 3, 2009

fast day three: Daniel 1

The first part of this chapter that sticks out to me is the Babylonians changing Daniel and his friends' names. To us, naming a child may involve honoring a family member or just picking something cool or cute. But to Hebrews, names actually meant something. Daniel's meant, "God is my judge." And his friends were literally "the Lord shows grace," "who is like God?," and "the Lord helps." Each name was altered to honor the pagan gods they were being pressed to convert to. I wonder if they ever got used to being called a name that must have seemed like an insult to their God.

I've thought a lot about how I've allowed what others say about me to define me or limit the scope of God's vision for my life. I imagine I'm not the only one. I bet most of you can think of some words of a boss, a parent, a friend, a co-worker, or a complete stranger that have made you rethink who you were. I love it that in the very next verse we see how Daniel responds.

Daniel "resolved" not to cave. He didn't make a scene or tell anyone off. He quietly but persistently worked out a way to live out the plan God had for him instead of allowing the king's command to break down who he knew he was.

Now as far as the fasting goes, some of you may have thought after reading this first chapter, "21 days! Daniel only asked for 10 days! So can I quit on the 11th?" However, as you see, since of course the ten day trial was successful, Daniel and his boys kept eating that way for the rest of their three years in training. (It is possible though, that once the training was over and they were living more on their own, they might have begun to prepare foods with the legal "kosher" methods. I know I would have.)

Yesterday I marveled at how well Daniel knew God. But I'm also pretty impressed with a kid who knew who he was. Not only is that an important goal for kids, I need to work on that too. I need to "resolve" to only allow God's Word to matter. Not let a person's opinion to hold me back or change me or limit who I am and what I'm called to. If Daniel didn't allow the most powerful man in the world to faze him, then I probably don't need to worry about a flippant comment by Joe Blow or Jane Doe. How about you?

4 comments:

hilda said...

Powerful words. Thanks for sharing them. If ever in doubt who I am, I will look in God's word to tell me. :)

Anonymous said...

Daniel was a name we chose for our only son. The only reason was because of his walk with God. I do not recall any time in his testimony of him not seeking after God and this is even after he is ripped from his family. I feel children today are pressed on every side to NOT be a part of God's family or even their own. I have always admired the focus Daniel had..but as you read it is because he kept his focus totally on God. Daniel only had one hope...and that was in the Lord. If we can stay in a state of only knowing God as our judge, then our lives will be full of protection, insight, & blessings.

I will be sharing this with my kids today..especially Daniel.

Anonymous said...

Great posts Big K!
Thanks for the encouragement.
It's so true our value is and needs to be in Christ alone, the struggle isn't understanding that concept, but believing & living it...that is my prayer...that we would BELIEVE God, not just believe in HIM!!!

Bea said...

Yep, Daniel is a great example of submitting to authority here on Earth, without ever moving off our call from God. May we be God-pleasers, not man-pleasers!