Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Philippians 4

This is a fabulous chapter but verses 4-9 are really so awesome that they really kind of overshadow the whole rest of it to me. This is one of those passages that you could really read on January first and not crack the Bible again and still have plenty to meditate on for the rest of the year.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.


I like the phrase about God's kind of peace. It's beyond comprehension. If you don't have that kind of peace in your life, let's stop and read this passage over and over until we get it. I want my heart and mind kept "in Christ." I want to put all of this into practice. And when we do, our lives will be flat out baffling to the world. The peace will freak them out because it won't be situational. It won't be normal. It won't even be possible. But Jehovah Shalom will be present.

1 comments:

Pam D said...

Found you through SCL. Love your blog... and I'm finding that the chapters/verses you're highlighting are a lot of my favorites, too. Phi. 4:8 is my "resolution" for the year.. I figured it was better than, say.. trying to lose 30 lbs., or giving up chocolate, or something like that. But, I do love 6 and 7 dearly, and they have become my lifetime companions. "Do not be anxious about ANYTHING".. but God.. did you SEE the DOW today? Oh, and that thanksgiving part? Umm... my 401K has dipped lower than a thermometer in Minnesota in January... and you want me to be thankful for that? "No, my child... I said IN everything.. not FOR everything. Surely, you can find a way to be thankful IN this circumstance." Oh, right.. yeah, I think I can do that. And for that, I get what? My bank account back? Assurance that all my "stuff" is safe? "No, my child, it's not about stuff. Not even Stuff Christians Like. But.. you do get peace.. peace that passes all understanding. So, when your friends and neighbors are freaking out, and YOU are calm? That's ME.. all Me." Ohhhh... I get it, God... I get .. peace.. and You guard my heart and my mind. And then there's that eternity thing. OK.. I'm good. "Well, my child.. actually, you aren't. BUT.... My grace is sufficient for you, and My power is made perfect in your weakness." Ummm...God? Wrong book, chapter, and verse.. "Child? It's MY book.. and I'll quote it however I wish!" Yes sir... got it. I'm good..... oh, not really.. but You? You ARE good.. all the time...and all the time? You are GOOD!
Amen.