Saturday, April 4, 2009

1 John 2

Truly the most haunting words in the Bible are, "Depart from me, I never knew you." I think most people live as if Jesus didn't really mean that. But here, I see John making the same point. And he even says this should be old news to those reading his letter.

This is how we know we are in him: Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

If you have to know God to go to heaven and obedience is what demonstrates this relationship, then we logically have to deduce that many people who wear the title of Christian don't really know God. Maybe even you.

John tells each group in his audience why he's writing to them. To you, whomever comes across these words, my writing has pretty much one purpose as far as you are concerned. To challenge you to walk as Jesus did. To know God. And to be certain of your eternity by self-analysis of your obedience to His commands.

For me, I'm writing to "continue in him, so that when he appears I may be confident and unashamed before him at his coming." I have never maintained the regular spiritual discipline of journaling and blogging is a good way to keep me on track.

Oh, and I really didn't even mention my favorite verses from this chapter, 15-17. I need to have those tattooed to my forearm. Nothing in this world is worth it. Everything I need can be found in Him.

1 comments:

Bea said...

I have waited a week to write this because my machine here has not been working --but, alas, here is the note I wrote 5 times last Saturday and could not get it to send.
When I was a little girl my earthly daddy would say, "We don't love the things of this world". I never 'got it' till years later when I read this verse. Both my earthly father and my heavenly father wish the bset for me--may we focus on the Kingdom of God and forget the things of this world.