Monday, April 6, 2009

1 John 4

The fact that I am pursuing God is an effect of the fact that He first pursued me. I think we downplay that in our minds. The intensity level, whatever it is, that we are seeking to know God and love Him was first initiated by Him. It's one thing to feel all jazzed about how in love with God I am but it is indescribably humbling to think that He first loved me vastly more than even I have ever loved Him. And on top of all that, that I was purchased, as is, at the price of His own pain, humiliation, and death.

Do I really believe that? If I really woke up each morning with that immense, bigger-than-all-creation love on my mind, I think I would live each day differently. I think I would actually begin to live a life characterized by the love for others that this chapter describes. I think that I would not only be more compassionate to strangers and the helpless, I would be more gentle and patient with my kids. I think I would use a softer tone with my husband. I think I would stop and ask people how they were doing instead of politely asking in passing without pausing because I really only wanted the obligatory, "fine."

Lord, I love you. Help me to love you with all that I am. I am all in. I want to live a life of love.

0 comments: