Monday, April 27, 2009

Matthew 25, part 1

So before I even start, I know I can't do this chapter in one day. What drew me to it is the middle section. To me, it's Jesus' most gripping parable. The Parable of the Talents. I just read it out loud from the Message to my 11-year-old son. Why? Well, that takes a bit of explanation.

About a year and a half ago, I finally talked Kenny into taking piano lessons. He had plinked around on it for a while, and I convinced him that if he would just take lessons, he might really like it and get good. Come to find out, he has a gift.

His teacher realized early on that he has perfect pitch. That means he can sit with his back to the piano and name whatever note you play. He can also tell you what key the train whistle is when he hears it in the distance. He even informed out piano tuner (correctly) that he thought the whole piano was a half step flat.

He also can transpose music pretty easily. We found that out within a few months of when he started. The First Noel was playing on a Christmas CD and he realized he knew how to play it. He sat down to play and his version didn't match. They were in different keys. After tinkering for about an hour, he had not only transposed the version he learned into the key on the CD, he could play the song in any key and even switch keys after each line. He can pretty much figure out how to play anything he hears. Suffice it to say, he has a gift.

But on Wednesday, he will compete in his first ever competition. He has to play five classical pieces, several scales and chord combinations, and will likely be quizzed randomly on other basic knowledge by the judge. I competed every year but never in something like this. I sat down, knocked out one piece by memory, got my medal, and went home. But evidently "Guild" is kind of a big deal. So tonight I sat down with him to be the pretend judge to help him get used to playing with someone looking over his shoulder scrutinizing every note.

Long story short, he's not prepared. He's not ready. Although he practices all the time, he plays haphazardly, inventing little variations on the pieces, or plays them way too fast or too slow, or whatever entertains him at the moment. We've talked about it before, and I've implored him to play it his best every time. But this time, we're out of time.

So, because Guild is not the end of the world, but the Kingdom of God certainly is, we stopped practicing and went to Matthew 25. As I read the story to him, he could already see what this story means. And, because I knew he would think it's cool like I do, I told him that the measure for money in this story happened to be "talents." Not a coincidence in my opinion. We both repented for our lack of diligence, stewardship, responsibility, and ungratefulness. Just as his musical ability is a gift he has to invest wisely, he is a gift I have to manage wisely. So really, this particular shortcoming this week isn't his.

Wednesday is hardly the Day of Reckoning though. Many more years of practice lay before us. Many more springs of "Guild" are yet to come. And obviously where his talent takes him is probably something more wild and exciting than a series of contests.

Many other areas in my life and his must be invested, managed, and cultivated properly. But not because we misunderstand or fear a harsh Master. I think that one poor worker missed the point. Like I told Kenny and have told him many times before: God gave him that gift for a reason--to bring glory to Himself. Not for his own entertainment. Not for fame. Not for riches. Not for recognition. But for His pleasure alone.

God has given each of us so much. Gifted us with things that are actually His. Money, time, energy, health, and talent. And probably it's not all evenly distributed. To some 10,000. To some 5,000. And to some only 1,000. But whatever it is for me, I want to live every single moment with one end in mind. To stand at the end and hear Him say, "Well done, good and faithful servant. Enter into the joy of your Lord."

1 comments:

Bea said...

I think our Heavenly Father gets lots of pleasure when He listens to Kenny play and invent new ways to play a song, and when He sees Kenny take pleasure in his talent. Those Spring Piano Contests you did, (where you and Scotti incidently got to State and got a Superior every year, 12 years in a row, are a part of who you are and where you are today. Kenny approaches his gift differently and he must be guided, but I know he has already brought the Heavenly Father great pleasure! Glad you know what you know so you can guide him to develp and use for the Glory of God the beautiful talent God placed within him. As a a mother, I sure take pleasure in watching it all unfold