Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Romans 8

Today is my dad's birthday. Along with the many roles he has had in his life, he is also a pastor. And along with the many people he has been a shepherd and mentor and teacher and preacher to over the years, he has been one of the most formative spiritual leaders in my life.

This chapter has many passages in it that I attach in my memory to sermon illustrations and stories he has told. He was a children's pastor when I was a kid so I heard Romans 8 stories about a frog and a scorpion. When I was a young adult I heard him preach about theRomans 8 prize fighter's more than conqueror wife from the end section.

But the main illustration was his life as my father. The Romans 8 illustration of God's inseparable love. In verse 15 Paul refers to Jesus calling God the Father by the Aramaic term of endearment, Abba. Daddy God. I think it's easy for me to put my trust in God because of my dad. He showed me what God's kind of love is like. So many people in the world have to learn to relate to God without that. I can't imagine how. I am so thankful for the godly man that raised me to put my trust in my Father alone.

Happy Birthday Big Muscle Daddy, aka Running Bear, aka Daddy Bonz!

1 comments:

Bea said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, KENNY!!!! Yep, that is the man I am married to as well. We ae blessed to have him in our lives.