Saturday, July 25, 2009

Job 2

You know, I've never experienced anything in my life that I would rate as loss anywhere in the neighborhood of Job. Not in any category. But I really love his response. I love what it teaches me about who God is. We learned in the last chapter that He gives and takes away. And here we learn that God can give both good and bad. I think in a lot of ways that contradicts our picture of God. It's hard to comprehend how that's possible to be true. But I've written before and still believe that God is a lot more and than or. He can be both and still be the definition of love even within that paradox. I'm not saying God isn't all good because He definitely is. But there are clear indications that He does stuff people may not like because they just don't understand the whole story. My dad has this saying that I have adopted too. "Gotta take a little bad with the good." This is sort of what Job says here.

This story presents this occurrence with the whole scenario going on in heaven. I don't know who the author was of this story (and neither does anyone else living today) but I wonder how on earth they came up with that dialog. Obviously I believe all scripture was inspired by God. But giving a writer the play-by-play between Him and satan is pretty interesting. But God does do a lot of talking in this book. So I will continue skipping around in Job but only for a few more chapters.

0 comments: