Thursday, August 27, 2009

2 Samuel 23

Josheb-Basshebeth struck down 800 men at one time.

Eleazar stood his ground and fought back the enemy until his hand locked up and stuck to the hilt of his sword.

Shammah stood in the middle of a field and fought until God brought the victory even after everyone else ran away.

Abishai attacked 300 with just a spear.

And Benaiah went down into a pit on a snowy day and killed a lion. He attacked a huge Egyptian with a club and then killed him with his own spear. And those were just some of his exploits.

This passage really gets my heart pounding. These men were among the toughest that ever lived. But the notes here in this chapter makes up the bulk of what we know of them really. Benaiah, my personal favorite, goes on to be mentioned for his loyal service through David's death and on to his son Solomon. But who is the one you all hear about in Sunday School? David. It's all about David. It is now, and it was then. He was the king. These were his mighty men. And even though their exploits are spectacular, they did it all for their king. Just look at the kick-butt Bethlehem story. They knew who their leader was.

So that's why I love this passage. I want to be counted among the mighty. Not because I want honor or glory. But because I am the servant of a Mighty God. I want my exploits to be legendary examples of God bringing the victory. And my loyalty to Him and His cause to be what brings me any strength at all.

1 comments:

Bea said...

I love reading these adventures as well!!! It makes ne know Hollywood can't compare to the REAL DEAL in the Bible!!! THIS is what should get men of God excited instead of Hollywood's lame counterfeit!!!