Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Luke 10, part 2

I don't like to do the same chapter twice. But Luke 10 has a lot in it. Aside from yesterday's angle which primarily was about the good Samaritan, my very favorite part of this chapter and the one that has made the biggest change in my life is the story of Mary and Martha.

You see, I am a recovering Martha. About 10 years ago I made the first step. I admitted I had the problem. But for this particular problem, you can't just make a to do list of steps for yourself to get over it. That's the whole point. It has to be a response to an overflowing love for Jesus. So, I began to pray for God to change me from a Martha to a Mary. And He did. Let me present the evidence.

When my first child Kenny was born, not only did he not leave the house without completely accessorized outfit from the Gap (complete with shoes even though he couldn't walk and a wallet even though he didn't have any money), but he also had another complete one in his diaper bag as a back up. Now, I'm lucky if none of my 3 kids have bed head when we leave the house.

The first time we went to Disney with my extended family I had every moment as strategically calculated as the Normandy invasion. This time, I just checked the park hours and weather forecast.

Before, I cleaned and cooked and entertained at parties like the other Martha. Now, I comfortably welcome people into my home as is and just wing it.

Even on the Myers-Briggs personality profile at work I went from being a J to a P. (You'll have to look that one up sometime but trust me, it supports my point.)

This may seem like normal maturity and just getting more laid back. But I see it as an answer to prayer. This may seem silly but they are clear symptoms of obsession. An obsession over something apart from Christ. Only one thing is needed. I have found it and it won't be taken away from me. I am so much more fulfilled by sitting at the feet of Jesus than I ever was toiling in the kitchen.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Big K I have to say I didn't know your "before" however, I love your new found "P"-ness. And your openness & welcoming people into your home so freely...Love your heart friend!