Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Day Five: Matthew 6:5-18

Isn't fasting supposed to be a secret?

I had a long conversation with a friend last night who wondered why we were talking about fasting on Facebook and Twitter. "Aren't you supposed to not tell people?" she asked. Probably the second most famous mention of fasting in the Bible (after Jesus' 40-day water fast) is Jesus dissing the Pharisees about their public fasting. Go ahead and read it in context in Matthew 6. Jesus actually started this topic in verse 5 in regards to prayer so in some ways this is a bigger issue than talking about fasting. But yes, Jesus is clear that fasting is something we do for God, not to put on a holy show.

I guess I feel like when I talk to people in person and through social media I'm not trying to impress them. Not that I never do! :) But about this, I'm just seeking accountability and support and offering it to others. I also think the part about complaining or whining about it is a key point. Most of the people I have seen talk about it with a friend are excited about it and are sharing tips and asking questions, not lobbying for sympathy. At any rate, Jesus does warn us to make sure we are sharing for the right reasons. Not expecting a reward of pats on the back.

Another angle to this is that most fasts in the Bible were big corporate fasts, whole cities or nations. A king or other leader would call on everyone to fast together. Some instances even included livestock. So of course people knew about it! For many of us, this group fast will be a first step. You may feel led to fast regularly. I have a friend that fasts once a week and she never talks about it to anyone. The only reason I know she does it is that I'm around her enough to have put it together. To me, that's more the kind of situation Jesus is addressing in Matthew 6, trying to be holier than thou.

So like most things, the condition of your heart is the most important thing. When you're sharing your fasting experience with someone, ask yourself this: "Am I sharing this to encourage a fellow believer and get support? Or am I secretly hoping they will finally know what a great Christian I am?" Only two know the answer to those questions. You and God.

So before you tweet or post or chat or however else you network with friends, think of your loving Father watching you. Not just listening to what you say, but knowing your thoughts and intentions. This habit really has nothing to do with fasting though. That's what I wish I would remember before every time I say something!

Today I will pray for you that God will shine His light into the darkest places of our hearts and show us any wrong motives we may be harboring. I ask Him to flood us with His power and presence and speak loud and clear to all of us that are seeking direction from Him. I pray that God will send the right people into our paths to share our fasting experience with.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Amen & well said!....

Anonymous said...

For the past two nights I have been weeping about things that I thought were long forgotten. God has been good in showing me what is deep in my heart. Kendra, thanks for praying. Love ya friend. HA

John, Angela, and Briley Barker said...

Great perspective girl! Thanks for sharing your views and seeking support. I'm always encouraged to get to join with others in our church who are in OK. It's so cool to be connected even when we are far away!

JC Riley said...

Great post Kendra. I think it's great that a large group is pulling together to fast and pray. I know some may post for the wrong reasons but that doesn't change the power that can come from it and the worship being done by those choosing to do it as an act of worship.

SheriYates said...

Well said Kendra.

Miss Theresa said...

Thank you again, Kendra, for allowing us to share this with you.
Yesterday I shared my Daniel fast and topics I'd read in the Bible that related to my personal experience with this fast. Today one of those coworkers said that he thinks he'll start fasting, too. Although I was extremely cautious how and with who I mentioned my fasting, God used me in a way I totally did not expect.
FYI, I "slipped" and had my doubts about me. Then on a break yesterday I opened the Bible and read the first chapter of Malachi. I am now back on track, giving my best.