Sunday, January 18, 2009

fast day eighteen: Daniel 12

You can read this over and over and read a thousand commentaries about it but you may never feel sure you really understand it. Daniel didn't. But there are some key parts that show us which group we want to be a part of.

...those who are wise shall shine like the brightness of the sky above; and those who turn many to righteousness, like the stars forever and ever.

How can we be wise? Not coincidentally, James 1 told us. Ask God. He gives it out freely. He wants to actually. The second part is pretty evident. Full circle evangelism. Not just introducing people to Jesus, but turning them towards righteousness and away from their sinful past.

Many shall purify themselves and make themselves white and be refined, but the wicked shall act wickedly. And none of the wicked shall understand, but those who are wise shall understand.

Not all of the Christians I know work hard to purify themselves. Most people are satisfied with a nice shade of gray instead of white. I think about women long ago who struggled to do laundry by hand. Laundry is a big enough pain with our own washer and dryer and modern chemicals, but imagine doing it way back when. In Daniel's time I imagine there was a pretty high premium on something perfectly pure and white.

I want to be that His beautiful bride in white. But that's not my place. It's our place. The church. We are His collective bride. We are to purify ourselves and make ourselves white and refined. So, in addition to cleaning up our own act, we need to do what that first verse said too and "turn people to righteousness." Not just flagrant heathens but the believer at your elbow during worship. I'd really like us to meditate on the wildness and mysteriousness of this chapter and allow it to motivate us to get white.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Another--OH Me OH my! I think that's where living a 'fasted life' comes in to play. We are their Bible they read every day. Can we walk the walk in front of them and 'lay down our lives' to show them the way. Tough assignment--but HE thought we could do it, with His help, of course. Isn't it great how James weaves into the picture.

Tammy said...

I've experienced that many times first hand. As a Christian, desiring so much to have my life and those that I love 'as white as snow'. Many times I would reach out to other Christians for support...yet pretty much all of them were either scared of the confessions or struggling themselves that they would not even ask how I was. I have kept my eyes on JESUS and know His word is absolute truth so I go on. It has, however, made me step forward more to others in their pain or trials and stand with them. Not focusing on their trials but helping them, also, to keep their hope and eyes on Jesus..the one who died for them and wants to give them his wisdom and blessings.

Let me say to all these 'fast friends' on Kendra's site... Do not be afraid to comment, open up, reach out, share in all of this. We are here to lift each other up, to know Jesus even more, because believe me...HE is the only perfect one. All of us here have struggles and none of us are perect. We, the CHurch, can see God do miracles in each others lives if we will just let Him. I know only a few...but we ARE family serving our great Lord together. It doesn't stop with asking Jesus into your hearts...there is SO much more!