Monday, January 12, 2009

fast day twelve: Daniel 7

OK, hopefully you read my biblical prophecy overview and have that out of the way. So now let's continue to search through the book of Daniel to find things that I can learn from him and hear wisdom from God about how I should live today. For me, in this chapter, that comes from verses 1, 15, 16, and 28.

Daniel, because of His hot pursuit of knowing the God of his forefathers was now in a position to see this kind of incredible vision from God while laying in bed. I don't know about you, but I don't see little horns wrenching out three other ones from my pillow. What I really like though, is that after seeing this major freak-out of a dream, when he is confused and afraid, he walks up to a heavenly being and asks for clarification. That's just cool. He wasn't afraid of anyone thinking he was dumb for not getting it the first time or any of the other silly things I might worry about. And you know what? Daniel got an answer. Granted, the answer is almost as trippy as the vision itself, but he wasn't afraid to ask. Even at the end, when he was just completely blown away with what he'd seen, he had the good sense to just keep his mouth shut. I think that was smart because I'm fairly sure that if I started telling people I could see leopards and winged lions that I'd get locked up or medicated.

So what crazy things is God showing you? It might not be a clear prophecy about the next four kingdoms that will rule the world. It might be a vision for your workplace. Your marriage. Your career. Your classes. Your kids. Your city. Your calling. Whatever it is, you might as well have ten horns if you tell certain people because that's exactly how they are going to look at you. Some words from God, and I'm horrible at this, are best kept to yourself for a while. Not because they're wrong. Daniel's was true. And not because you're crazy. Daniel was as sane as they come. But because the time for the dream may not be quite yet.

That's hard. Just as vividly as iron teeth and bronze claws, I can see certain truths about the future. Glimpses of God's plan for me. But I've learned the hard way, that sometimes, what seems crystal clear in my head, comes out of my mouth sounding as threatening as four stampeding beasts. We've got some chapters left and a few more days of fasting left, but what I want to know is, how can I learn to hear God, see His plan, and still sit with my mouth shut and wait for it to happen. Let's pray together that God will tell us.

0 comments: