Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Habakkuk 2

Then the LORD answered me and said, "Record the vision and inscribe it on tablets, that the one who reads it may run. "For the vision is yet for the appointed time; it hastens toward the goal and it will not fail. Though it tarries, wait for it; for it will certainly come, it will not delay.
Habakkuk 2:2-3 NASBish

This is the verse I keep on my desktop of my computer at work. I need it written plainly on tablets. God spoke it straight to me once and now when I read it, I hear Him as plainly as if I were stationed on the rampart next to Habakkuk.

The key word here is "it." It refers to "the vision." But notice who does all fo the action in this verse. Is it you? Or is it it?

The vision is for a set time. (Set by God incidentally, not me.)
The vision is hastening towards the goal.
The vision will not fail.
Though the vision may seem like it's taking forever to happen, wait for it.
Because the vision was given to me by God, it will surely happen.

That's difficult and relieving all at once. I can quit working myself into a sweat trying to make "it" happen. But then again, I also probably have some waiting to do.

But that's what the righteous do. We live by faith. That's what it says here, right? The problem is that in the mean time, in the space between, it's easy to allow things to distract you from reading those nicely inscribed tablets. It's likely even that those distractions can even become what you seek after more than God Himself. (Which, by definition, makes it idolatry FYI.)

Even after we've clearly seen a vision from God, it's not too hard to find ourselves running after things of our own creation like in verses 18-19. Trying to help the vision along. Things we produced with our own efforts to keep us busy while we should have been busy running with the vision.

But the LORD is in His holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before Him.

All of the things I put together with my own strength, things you would think I could be proud of, are all just lifeless hollow nothings. God is the only one on the throne. He is bringing His vision to pass in His timing on His scale. I just need to be quiet and get busy running so I don't miss it.

0 comments: