Friday, January 23, 2009

Psalm 19

I LOVE this psalm. I can just see the author sitting outside at night stargazing, knowing so much more about them than the brightest and best astronomer of today. Day after day, he understood, they are speaking, crystal clear, about a Creator more vast than we can comprehend. The sun and the moon are showing off the glory of God.

Then you've got verses 7-10 as a little poem of sorts. And what's the poem all about? Rules! God's laws, precepts, commands, ordinances. What a bizarre thing to make up a little rhyme about. That's certainly not something any of us independence-loving modern people would write a little ditty about. But read the second half of each statement. What a deep devotion. He cherishes God's way of life more than gold. It's sweeter than the honey on the comb. Not when I remember that this isn't just this guy's opinion, that it is the absolute factual truth, I want in on that. I want to live like I believe that God's Word is the most valuable thing in the world.

We had the most precious story from church last weekend. A little girl named Holly responded to the power of the gospel saying she wanted to invite Jesus into her life. When the volunteer and her parents asked her if she really understood what she was asking, she said, "Well, if I could have anything in the whole world (holding out one hand), or God (holding out the other), I pick God." Wow. That's it. That's exactly what this author was talking about. Holly feels it, too.

But, even so, the author saved the best verse for last. It is my prayer every single day.

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

1 comments:

Bea said...

For years, my friends have called me the 'word' person. That says it all. I love the Word, it is life to me and I have found it. I love reading it, meditating it and work at living it. I love to look for ways to 'do' what He asks by trusting Him in all areas. I have found Him faithful every time!! David Ingles has written 'word' songs for years and more recently, David Nassar has coupled with some great psalmists of our day, headed up by Mac Powell, to create 'word songs'. Check out 'Glory Revealed' if you haven't already. You are learning the word while singing beautiful songs! What a great idea. Note: Isn't it interesting both these guys names are David--like the psalmist after God's own heart in the Bible.