Monday, February 9, 2009

Ephesians 6

This chapter is a delightful potpourri of deep important stuff. First you've got some family relation things left over from chapter 5. All good stuff. But then you've got Paul reminding slaves to labor for Christ, not to please their masters. On the one hand, verses like these bother me because I'd rather them just say, "Masters, let your slaves go free. It's wrong of you to treat God's children as property." But on the other hand, it's a terrific reminder that God is so much less concerned with what seems fair and politically correct and cares only for how our lives bring glory to His Name. That's hard. It's easy for our prayers to focus on asking God to change our situation instead of listening to His guidance of how to bring glory to God in our situation "as is."

One of my favorite parts, and the one that drew me to read this chapter again today, is verse 13. After you've put on the whole armor and done everything you possibly can, stand. Stand. Keep standing. Lock your knees and just keep on standing. That's where I find myself today.

So I have something to ask of any of you readers out there. See that little prayer request hidden in verses 19-20? I really need you to pray that for me today. The right words to speak, no more no less. Hopefully, I can let you know how it goes. Thanks, friends.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Girl,
You wear your armour daily. Today you will be God's mouthpiece as you walk in peace and love. Love never fails!! You will have the words to say as you speak boldly the truth in love. Stand---My prayers are with you. Mom

Bea said...

As you walk in love today, you will bring glory to God. They will know us by our love.