Sunday, February 8, 2009

Psalm 3

This tiny psalm is one of my favorites. I remember learning several verses of it as a song when I was a kid. It's a wonderful detail that God included that it was written when David was fleeing from being overthrown by his own son Absalom. Although he talks about how many enemies he felt like he had, it was really the conflict that had developed with Absalom that was the real focus. He really had one enemy. The miscommunication, bitterness, misunderstanding, avoidance of the underlying issues, and unfair judgements all grew into one big open festering sore. And the heartbreaking part is that it was with someone he loved dearly. Not some outside invaders, but a beloved child. I relate so much right now this situation. Except the part about asking God to slap my enemies in the face or knock their teeth out. That's just vindictive. :) I don't feel that at all. But seriously, I feel sorrow over the collapse of what should have been a close friendship.

Anyway, the one verse that is most dear to me, that I still hear as a part of the song, is verse 3:
But you O Lord are a shield for me; my glory and the lifter of my head. I want to learn to end every sentence with that. Every doubt, every fear, every piece of bad news, every crazy situation.

I had a bad day at work, but you O Lord are a shield for me...

My husband's got a raging cold, but you O Lord are a shield for me...

My annual review is coming up, but you O Lord are a shield for me...

My kids are fighting like roosters, but you O Lord are a shield for me...

You get the picture. Whatever is going on, the reality is that God is in control. He's watching over me. He's shielding me with His love. He's going to bring glory to Himself through my situation. And He's going to hold my head high in the midst of it all. I'm going to be humming it all day. Wish you could hum along too, but since you probably don't know the tune, just meditate on this verse right along with me.

Oh, and by the way, we all only have one enemy. But it's not the person decorating your dartboard. When I keep this in mind, I am totally down with some satan face slapping and teeth breaking.

1 comments:

Bea said...

I will hum along with you today--I know that tune too!! I have been in those crushing situations and felt the collaspe of what was and should have always been a close friendship. The song God brought to me during one not so recently, was---"What a friend I've found, closer than a brother-JESUS-friend forever!!!" It is such a comfort to me. I also discovered what David didn't have written down for him yet--1Cor 13. The whole chapter, but most especially, LOVE NEVER FAILS. Jesus walked it out for us here on earth, as all his earthly friends abandoned Him. He went after them with God's love, mercy and grace. Can we do any less? As we walk out the WORD, He will surely be a sheild about us and the glory and the lifter of our heads!! Don't worry about man's yearly evaluation--God has His and I am sure He is well pleased. We are God-pleasers, not man pleasers. Keep on keeping on.