Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ezra 3

Today is a red-letter day. Back on January 1st, when I started a 21-day "Daniel fast" with a random group of friends, I started asking God for some significant, serious, strategic things. Last week, my prayer warrior friend sent me a verse from the "Daniel fast" passage to remind me of its promise. "Do not be afraid, Kendra. Since the first day that you set your mind to gain understanding and to humble yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to them." And as surely as the Lord lives, He has indeed come.

So what does this have to do with Ezra 3? Well, the celebration for me is about a foundation that has been laid. The glorious and beautiful vision I can see so clearly, as clear as a precious childhood memory, is of a church that is living out its mission of "leading people to become fully devoted followers of Christ." A church that is every bit as thriving and active on the weekdays as it is on the weekend. And the ground work has now been laid. The mixture of uncontainable joy and tearful sentiment that Ezra describes at this festival is what I feel today.

With praise and thanks, they sang this song to the Lord: “He is so good! His faithful love for Israel endures forever!” Then all the people gave a great shout, praising the Lord because the foundation of the Lord’s Temple had been laid.

There is still much building and labor yet to do. And I know what happens in the next chapter. But the Lord is so good. His faithful love for His people endures forever. I can't decide whether to shout or weep.

1 comments:

Bea said...

WOW1 I share your sentiments exactly!! A sure foundation has been laid and now God is calling us to labor along side Him to complete the work. It is sobering, yet full of joy. We are 'ready for the battle' and the outcome is already established. Let's go build His Kingdom. As Rowdy Yates would say, "Forward ho".