Sunday, February 1, 2009

Hebrews 10

Go ahead and read this whole chapter. It's awesome straight through and the chapter after it is even better so I'll get to it at some point too. But, because it's so much to chew on, let's focus on just a couple of passages. I've really thought about verses 22-25 in relation to my LifeGroup. The passage calls us to do three important things.

Let's draw near to God. That really has to be our top priority of every day. But I forget to make it that most of the time. God promises that those who seek Him find Him. He says and shows all over His book how much He longs for us to draw near. So that leads to the other two.

Let's hang on tight to hope. In case you haven't met me, part of what comes with the metacognician deal is a general impression of negativity. It's easy to allow my focus to be on thinking through all of the things that need to be better. For good reasons usually. I'm trying to fix things or make good things great. I mean, the whole mission of my job is the most important thing to live for in the history of the world, but that's no excuse. I have learned in the past year to hang on to hope. In the midst of whatever we face, we've got to keep our eyes on Jesus (otherwise, if you're as gutsy as Peter and have jumped out of your boat, you'll start to sink).

Let's compel one another toward compassion. My LifeGroup is getting good at this. Whether it's daring each other to sponsor a CI kid or talking trash about each other's Bible-reading habits or reading Crazy Love or just group emails to give a shout out to someone who has been particularly inspiring, the whole point it seems of living in biblical community is to spur each other on to more of Christ.

The last part I want to point out is a kick back to our talk about Habakkuk 2. The author of Hebrews quotes the verse right after the passage we covered recently.

...but my righteous one shall live by faith, and if he shrinks back,my soul has no pleasure in him.

Later in Hebrews 11:6, he reminds us that we can only please God through faith. So I guess it should go without saying that the opposite is true. But what a graphic little word picture. Shrinks back. Cowers. Cringes. Man, I don't want that to ever be me. This chapter has already painted such a powerful and dynamic portrait of Christ. I don't want to be a wimp by taking my eyes off of Him. Let's step out in faith like never before. We are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.

Let's draw near to God.
Let's hang on tight to hope.
Let's compel one another toward compassion.

1 comments:

Bea said...

Yes indeed--There is some tough stuff to follow in this chapter.