Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ecclesiastes 4

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

The last verse was the one we picked to be the theme verse for the discipleship program curriculum I developed at my work. The three strands of KONNECT are the child, their parents, and their small group at church. Those additional relationships help the child stay on track through years when just the guidance of their parents might not be enough. But I think it works in so many different situations.

A friend of mine who is a single mom hung this verse on her wall after God finally brought her a husband and her son a father. This was the third cord they desperately wanted.

At my parents' school, the children get the same support and training from their parents, their church, and their school. These three strands tether them firmly to their values.

For me, I think the deep, open and trusting relationship with my accountability partner who I can confess to and confide in, along with my growing relationship with God can also form the three strands that hold me up.

Do you have someone to work at your side? To help you up? Someone to keep you warm? To defend you? I hope you do. But I hope that you refuse to wallow in self-pity if you don't. This is in God's Word. I believe He wants this for each of us. If you don't have someone to grow alongside towards Jesus, I pray today that you will take the steps to grow that kind of relationship with someone.

You might have noticed that I removed the option to say "hmmm" to my posts. Now you can just say "amen." No one ever picked "hmmm" anyway. I'd like for you to click the "amen" whether you really agree with me or not so I know that my blog had a visitor. Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

Bea said...

The "AMEN" is easy as I love your wisdom shared. I caught up tonight be fore going to bed. Love it all and you too!!