Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Psalm 15

Who may worship in your sanctuary, Lord? Who may enter your presence on your holy hill?

Those are good questions. Ones I take for granted a lot. I come to church each week and feel good about myself for doing so. I lead 100+ kids in their worship service. I am even a minister by trade.

But here David acknowledges that coming to God is a privilege that has prerequisites. In this era of cheap grace we've raised our threshold of tolerance for sin--in our own lives and in others--over and over. Our eyes easily adjusting to the darkness a little more with each passing day. It becomes easier and easier to forget the price that was paid to purchase our entrance into God's presence. So read each line carefully with me as we apply it to ourselves. Can I recognize myself in this description?

Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right,
speaking the truth from sincere hearts.
Those who refuse to gossip
or harm their neighbors
or speak evil of their friends.
Those who despise flagrant sinners,
and honor the faithful followers of the Lord,
and keep their promises even when it hurts.
Those who lend money without charging interest,
and who cannot be bribed to lie about the innocent.
Such people will stand firm forever.

0 comments: