Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hebrews 4

So no siege story today. We can come back to that another time. Right now I need some rest!

For about a week I've had a bit of an insomnia problem. Lying in bed awake until 12-3 each night. I am not one of those people who can do with little sleep either. I feel worn out all day. But then, when I lie down, nothing. Just my mind spinning randomly on all of the new fun exciting problems it wants to solve.

So Hebrews 4 seemed like a good place to turn. It's all about entering God's rest. I talked to my friend Sean about not sleeping. He had some good suggestions but really I'm already doing those things. I don't feel stressed. What I need to tap into is the rest that comes from complete reliance on God and His perfect peace and patience. As many of you may now, I have a job change coming in only 9 work days (who's counting?) that I am honestly really looking forward to. But that gives my brain lots of fodder to chew on.

According to this chapter though, part of the key to the rest is Today. Today is the day to make the choice to put your faith in God and trust Him alone. Today is the day to enter into His rest. Not 9 days from now. Not thinking about future what ifs. Right now.

I have an Erwin McManus quote on a sticky note that I've kept on my desk at work for a couple of years now that asks me, "Are you rowing or sailing?" That's the question I will ask myself when I go to bed. Am I trusting God with the details and blissfully falling asleep, or am I running all of the possible angles and outcomes in my mind trying to plan my strategy? I want to sail. I want His Spirit to propel me through this next adventure, whether it's another storm or a calm sunny sea.

Lord, help me enter into your rest. Help me to put my whole trust in you. I need your perfect peace and patience. I need you today. I want to lay down my oars so I can put up my sails.

0 comments: