Thursday, May 14, 2009

Mark 9

I thought about going to this chapter last night and got distracted. Today my friend and MUCH better blogger wrote about it far better than I will right now, so don't miss out on his.

Like I've been alluding to, I'm going through a little patch of doubt. It's really not like me. Faith is rated on the top of my spiritual gifts test and in the past year, I've even noticed I'm really not afraid of anything. Until last week.

Well, the fact of the matter is, it wasn't long lasting, but it's certainly not over. I managed to "encourage myself in the Lord." (Which, by the way, another speaker I heard this week talked about again!) So, I can really relate to this dad.

"Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief." That's where I sit. Either my heart believes but my mind won't get on board. Or, less often, my mind knows I can trust Him and believes and my heart won't warm up to it. Either way, the contradiction and inner struggle that the story of this dad represents is probably familiar to us all.

Anyway, one other part of this chapter is remarkable to me too. Jesus' transfiguration. I think I'd say something dumber than Peter's, "Let's build you a little hut." I'd probably offer to build Him a cake or something. It's really just so crazy that in paragraph after paragraph, the gospels roll out such jaw-dropping stuff and it takes something like Moses and Elijah showing up a this point to truly knock Peter's socks off. I'm so like that. I can just get so used to the miraculous ways God speaks to me each day and works things out on my behalf. Thanks God. And, help my unbelief.

1 comments:

Bea said...

Your dad is a champion--He has looked impossible (to man) situations in the face and dared to trust God and stand on the promises in the WORD!!! God is always faithful!!!