Monday, June 22, 2009

Genesis 50

Fifty chapters. This opening book holds so many awesome stories. But the bulk of it is about four generations of our patriarchs: Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Joseph. This chapter goes from the death of Jacob to the death of Joseph though. So much good closure. But easily the stand-out verse in it all is 20. Even after the incredibly painful saga Joseph endured, all so unfair and unjust. All inflicted by those to whom he had done no wrong. But after all he'd been through, his brothers were still afraid he would get revenge now that their father was gone. And even though he had the power to do it and they certainly deserved it, he knew who he was and where he fit into God's plan. "Am I in the place of God?" I think sometimes I act like it. We do not have that choice of whether to forgive or not. We are commanded to.

No matter what happens in my life. No matter what I endure. No matter what joys or sorrows I face, God intends it all for good. If Joseph can attest to this truth after years of imprisonment in a foreign land where he was a slave, I should certainly be able to keep my heart and mind there too.

Above my mantel is Romans 8:28. I love God. I know I am called according to His purpose. So I need to expect, and attest to the fact like Joseph, that God will bring it all about for His good purpose. No matter how others may have intended it.

1 comments:

Bea said...

Amen & amen!! For years I tried to figure, analyse how ALL must not mean All. But our God can make ALL things work for our good when we are willing receptive vessels. PRAISE HIS NAME!!!!