Sunday, June 21, 2009

2 Samuel 7

Last October, we had our big staff event that lasted 3 days. It was full of worship, workshops, speakers, meals, hangout time, games, and even a picnic. But one thing it offered that was optional was to show up early one morning for prayer together. My accountability partner Toni and I agreed to arrive together to pray with the group. But to my shock, the only person who came to pray with us was Amy Groeschel, the pastor's wife. I barely know Amy except by reputation, but one thing I already knew that she confirmed in those next several minutes was that that woman could pray. She prayed so fluently and so sweetly and so confidently and so powerfully that it doesn't surprise me in the least to know that God answers her prayers. I learned (and relearned) quite a bit that morning about prayer just by her example.

That's kind of why I like this chapter. First David and Nathan are just talking. But later, God joins the discussion when He speaks clearly and directly to Nathan who shares what he has heard with his king. Then, David prays. I am so glad God saw fit to include so many prayer written out in His Word for us to learn from. For us to see David approach God with both reverence and intimacy. With confidence and submission.

Just like I learned about Amy's relationship with her Father that morning, I get a picture of David's relationship with God here in this prayer. But I also learn more about who God is and who I am to Him. That's part of the power of prayer I don't think we think about much. Not only can we hear from God and speak to Him, we can learn all kinds of other things through the prayers of a seasoned veteran pray-er.

When I was a kid, for a time, Monday night was "intercessory prayer" meeting night. I remember listening to people praying out loud. I learned how to pray by others' prayers. And today, I pray out loud in front of my kids for the same reason. I wish that prayer was something we shared more in our culture. The Korean church is famous for their fervent prayer. I'd like to be known for that. Like Amy is.

1 comments:

Bea said...

I think it is where many parents 'miss it'. They don't include their children in what they somehow think is 'adult stuff' Take your kids with you when you minister and pray. They will learn by example. Let them know this is what Christians do! Be sure your kids know how to pray and hear God. I bet Amy's and Kendra's can.