Saturday, June 20, 2009

Malachi 1

Sometimes our definition of fair doesn't match who God is. The truth is that God defines fair. He doesn't do things because they're fair. They are fair because He does them. (Thanks to my man Francis Chan for that kick in the teeth.)

I'll let you in on a little-known fact. I sometimes secretly feel like I'm God's favorite. I'm aware of how ridiculous that sounds, but I'm just being honest. Certainly it doesn't sound fair. I know that He loves me a lot. I know that He's watching me and cheering me on to choose what's right. I know He's whispering in my ear all the time, not just to tell me what to do, but to tell me what He thinks of me. I hope all of God's children feel that way. But what if you were God's people of Israel? Fallen out of favor, replaced by an adopted international force of ragamuffin believers. Or worse yet, what if you were Esau? Chosen against even though it was rightfully your place, and knocked back down every time you get up.

I don't get it. But what I do know is that God alone is the One who deserves all honor and deference and respect and even fear. We must not fail to bring Him our all and our very best. If He would rather board up the doors of His temple than receive second-best offerings, then He is certainly disgusted when we offer Him our leftovers. He certainly holds us in contempt when we compartmentalize our lives and only offer Him control of the areas we don't think we can handle.

Like He says over in Habakkuk, our God is in His Temple. He is not God made by our own hands that operates in a way made up in our minds based on how we think things should be. He is the awesome Almighty Master of the universe who allowed us to take in the breath that's in our chest right now. And we need to worship Him and come to Him and lift His Name up in a way that makes Him feared among the nations.

Just a final thought. You know when the Lord's Prayer says "Hallowed be thy Name," right? I always thought that was an acknowledgement of the holiness and reverence of His Name. But it's not. I looked it up and studied it. It's a part of the prayer. "May Your Name be made holy and held in the highest reverence." So think about the closing words of this chapter and reflect with me how good a job our lives do in honoring that.

"...For I am a great king," says the LORD Almighty, "and my name is to be feared among the nations."

1 comments:

Bea said...

Today is the memorial service for one of my sweet, dear, precious friends. She was one of the pureat worshipers of God I have observed. She is the third of my close friends in their 40s who have gone home to be with the Lord and be in His presence. I can quickly add three more moms in their 40s who were close to our family who also left this earth to what all of us think is early--before their time. BUT, our faithful, just and fair God sets the days of our journey here on earth. Yes, I am thankful and humbled that I got to raise my girls and train them up in the way they should go. I even am blessed to be a part of my grandchildren's spiritual and physical development. God has placed me in a ministry where I get to plant into kids' lives daily But when a friend completes her journey on earth 'early' we are deeply reminded to make every minute count. Every minute on earth is a gift and must be used wisely. My friend,Tomi Babb, did just that. She has trained up a beautiful 18 year old worshiper of the Lord!! A young lady who knows her Jesus is faithful and worthy---every time I watch her daughter dance unto the Lord, I will be reminded of her beautiful mother.
God always has a plan for us, and it s better than we could ever plan. Tomi was won of God's favorites as well.