Sunday, June 28, 2009

John 18

What if, at this moment in time, you didn't know the end of the story? What if you, like Peter, had just watched everything you believe in come crashing down around you? What if, even though you put on a brave front and talked a good game, you betrayed your own faith? What if you were faced with the reality that maybe everything you believed in was falling apart? That God might not be in control and that Jesus might not be the Christ?

I think it's probably impossible for us to totally and completely relate to how Peter must have felt on this day. The roller coaster ride from his proud declarations at dinner, to brashly attacking a temple servant, to finally hearing that rooster. I can almost not imagine the agonizing rip you would feel in your chest when you heard that sound and realized what it meant.

I am so thankful to have the whole story. To know that not only is Christ risen from the dead, but that He reigns in heaven and is coming back for me in eternal victory. But when situations in my life feel like they're tearing off a little piece of my soul, I don't ever want to let go of my faith, my blessed assurance, that God is on His throne and He is working in and through my life.

The sweetest phrase of this whole chapter to me is in verse 4. Then Jesus, knowing all that would happen to him, ...

As this day seemed to spiral out of control, One was not surprised at any twist or turn. Jesus walked through this moment with complete peace and foresight. When I face roller coaster days, I want to be holding His hand.

1 comments:

Bea said...

Yes, I am thankful Jesus is an accomplished roller coaster buddy. He is so faithul!!!
Don't know how people make it without HIM. I know I don't ever want to try it alone. He is my best friend, and the only one who can always be trusted. I am thankful that my parents steered me to Jesus as a little girl. It set the course of my whole life.