Friday, June 5, 2009

Proverbs 4

I received a lot of wise advice today. My mom (who made me late for a meeting with all hers!), a kind leader at work, and a dear friend all shared from their hearts and personal experiences some things that definitely give me a sure road to walk on. My dear friend shared a verse from this chapter with me. One he has shared long ago and one of his personal faves I think: Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life.

Not "it's pretty important" or "put it on your list" but "above all else." (OK, that was weird! Right at the moment I was writing this he called to talk to my husband!) Anyway, with all of the wisdom I've received, with all that I've learned the hard way, with all that I've gathered from God's Word and His voice speaking to me over the years, I will only be able to walk the walk the end of this chapter describes when I guard my heart. So many things, harsh words, flippant comments, misunderstood expressions, and all kinds of input from people can be a poison in my heart if I let them in. But through the filter God's wisdom provides, I want to protect my heart from taking in anything besides His truth.

And the rest of the chapter after that? That's kind of my action steps. All of the ways God has changed me, worked in and through me, and led my heart to new places over the last few years and especially this calendar year, I'm going to have to stay true to. I want people I interact with to notice the difference He makes in me. The ways He is refining and purifying and cleaning me out.

One of my favorite people always likes to talk in movie scenes to understand spiritual things. Add in a superhero and you've really got his attention. So in getting and sharing advice with him this week, I thought about the movie hero I most relate to. Jean Grey. The Phoenix. She is the most powerful of the X-Men, but her powers are too much for her to control. They have the tendency to overrun her and turn her towards evil. But her mentor, Xavier has developed a way to harness her powers so that she can direct them positively and do the good she intends. Anyway, back to this chapter, I think that I have been exposed to all kinds of instruction and counsel since I was a kid. And God has given me talents that He intends to use for His glory. But my own tendency is to allow them to overtake me and make me swerve from His path.

I am dedicating myself to prayer (and accountability) to keep my feet sure. I'd love you to pray with me and ask God how to apply His wisdom to your life too. And if you lurkers would comment sometime, I would pray for you back :)

0 comments: