Saturday, July 18, 2009

Psalm 107

Let those who have been redeemed by the Lord say so.

Like yesterday, I'm still thinking about what it means that I have been redeemed. It's easy to think about all of the many sins I have not committed instead of the many that I have. It's not too hard to dismiss or justify myself. But sin is wickedness. And even though my life has never been characterized as being far from God, it is my knowledge of Him that makes my sins even worse. I knowingly and willingly disobeyed what God demands of me. I don't know if other Christians do this also. I'm sure some do. But I want my heart to be desperately broken before Him and humbly seek His face. I want to meditate on His awesome power and justice so that I won't sin again. That I will feel God's Holy Spirit inside of me silently screaming when I'm about to stray.

He has satisfied the thirsty soul. He has given the hungry soul what is good.

I really don't miss many meals. I like to eat. I live in a land of plenty and have always had more than enough. But I want to be hungry and thirsty. I want my soul to long to see His face. When I think about our Burkinabe children we sponsor, I often try to imagine what their day was like. I bet they understand hunger and thirst. I want that image to help me find my satisfaction in God alone. To work and journey and labor to see Him just as they do to get clean water to drink and a little something to eat. He is so fabulously good to me, but I don't want to associate that with all my stuff. I want it to be His goodness in my life. God is good to them to and they don't have all the stuff. He is enough. His lovingkindness is all my soul really needs.

0 comments: