Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Romans 1

A lot of great truth is in this chapter. Romans is probably the book I'd want to have with me if I was on a deserted island. So much meat to chew on.

But the sweetest phrase I noticed this time is "who are loved by God and called to be saints" in verse 7. Do you really know how much He loves you? A song has been stuck in my head recently. The chorus is, "He loves us! Oh how He loves us! Oh how He loves us! Oh how He loves!" I do feel dearly loved. But I want to do a better job of portraying that loving God to the world. He loves them too. So dearly. So how can I help demonstrate that? I know some things it is for me. Gentler with my daughter. Kinder to my husband. More patient with my sons. Making time for my friends. Laughing with family. And not allowing those around me to drift off into sin.

The end of the chapter warns that none of us have an excuse. God has revealed His love to us in all that He has made. The splendour and majesty and frailty of life is a portrait of His love. But we must not mistake love with tolerance or mercy with leniency. How can we love others and tear them forcefully from the clutches of sin at the same time? I don't know how. But I know how He loves us. He loves us that way. We are loved by God and called to be saints.

0 comments: