Thursday, September 10, 2009

Exodus 33

Whew. Learned a lot about my spiritual habits while I was on that break. I realized that most (if not all) of my disciplines like prayer, Bible reading, meditation, worship, and writing are tied to other physical habits and pieces of my daily routine. I pray with my kids in the car on the way to school, at dinner, and at bed time. I worship and pray in the shower in the car and other times I'm alone. I write at night and read a chapter at the same time.

So while I was in a completely different environment with no routine, guess Who got left out? Pretty shameful. Even with my excuses like, "Well, Disney World probably is the more distracting and sensorily overwhelming place on the globe!" it didn't really satisfy my guilt. I was convicted. God was in the grass, the mornings, the commutes (even though it was buses), and everywhere I went. I just didn't see Him there because I wasn't looking.

I noticed this halfway through the trip when I remembered that I had said I was going to read a chapter each day and just meditate on it instead of blogging. And I can't remember why, but I turned here to Exodus. God showed Moses His back. God proclaimed who He Is. God revealed Himself there on the mountaintop. He is there. And He's on the Nemo ride sitting there in the dark with me and my daughter. He's in the energy-sapping heat and the soaking run across the whole park in the rain. He was on the bus so crowded even my kids had to stand and hold on--just the same as He is when I'm alone in my car singing to Him.

So, what did I learn about God in this chapter? He is there. He wants to show Himself to us. But honestly, we can't look at His face and live. But that doesn't mean we aren't supposed to seek Him. We must look for Him in every moment of our life. At work. At home. Even on vacation.

0 comments: