Monday, December 14, 2009

Daniel Fast 2010

Are you in for a wild spiritual roller coaster? Do you yearn to see God move in your life in unimaginable ways? Are you hungry for more of God in your life? Then starting off your decade with a 21-day Daniel Fast may be for you!

A Daniel Fast typically refers to a 21-day vegetable-based fast. Not only does the book of Daniel open up with Daniel and his three friends Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego committing to a veg-only diet, in chapter 10 he does a 3-week fast of no meat, no drink, and no lotions. Some people use these guidelines for their fast. The point is, to do something that causes a physical hardship that reminds you to devote time each day to fueling and feeding your spiritual hunger and thirst for God. If it's easy for you, it won't have the result you're going for. If it's so difficult you won't be able to function, you may start something that will feed into guilt when you compromise later.

A big point to consider too is that a fast is not a hunger strike. You aren't bargaining for God to answer your prayers because of an act of piety you are doing. A fast is also not a diet. I think for myself, I am going to have to commit not to weigh myself for the 21 days because last year it was hard not to get distracted by being more excited about dropping a few pounds than focusing on the spiritual benefits.

Last year, dozens of friends and I did a 21-day Daniel Fast. Although we all did things a little bit differently, all of us experienced God in tremendous ways. If you are interested in starting off your year with a Daniel Fast, you can join my group on Facebook (friend me if we're not friends yet) or you can just start a group with the people you already do life with.

Here on this site, I will be posting some daily devotionals and answering any questions that people have during the process. I'd love to know who's in, so if you're planning on participating this year, accept my Facebook event invite or comment here.

You can spend some time "counting the cost" before you commit, but I can bet that if God is tugging on you enough that you even showed up at this blog and read this post, then likely He is beckoning you to come get to know Him more deeply in this new decade, to allow God to reveal Himself to you in a way that's not so easy in our fast-paced culture. Take a risk and join us for what may be the best New Year's resolution you've ever made!

2 comments:

YankeeAmanda said...

Yep, I'm in. Modified Daniel fast - no carbs, no meat, only water or 100% juices.

I'm not sure that we're facebook friends yet but I'll be sure to rectify that.

Charlie said...

Since I'm a meat and potatoes girl, this will be a little hard for me but I am up for the challenge. Glad to be doing the fast with others who can support this mighty meat eater!