Friday, January 1, 2010

Day One: Psalm 100

If you aren't starting today on the first, just feel free to come to this post on the day you do start. I am really energized and looking forward to all that these weeks will mean and it led me to read this psalm.

Psalm 100 has been a favorite of mine since I was in an Episcopal school as a kid and we sang this as an opening prayer in chapel. These three weeks for me will be like walking closer to the throne room of God. Entering His courts. In the Old Testament, the people made a joyous parade to go up to the Temple together to worship on special holidays. They knew having God living among them was an honor to be cherished. Makes me wonder how I can cherish having the living Spirit of God in me on the scale of a parade every day. Today I want us to enter the gates of God's presence the way this Psalm says: with thankfulness, gladness, joy, and praise.

I will spend today praying for those of you who are doing this fast for the very first time. I will pray that you will start with strong resolve and will enter into the outer courts of God's presence with thankfulness, gladness, joy, and praise in your heart. Let's press in together and see what God has for us beyond His gates.

1 comments:

Miss Theresa said...

Thank you. I needed that prayer. I must share that when I read Chapter 10 of Daniel yesterday I was tempted to add my own interpretations, too. Today I'm moving beyond that. I kept thinking, 21 days, twenty-one days. And then when I read this chapter yesterday in The Message Bible, it said three weeks. Wow! Only 3 weeks?! I can do this!
Now as I sit here I discover my error. I was looking for a wooden crochet hook that I know I saw just a couple weeks ago. It's the only one I have in that size and I need it for this baby blanket for a boy that arrives this month. And as I'm distributing the treasures that I still haven't unpacked, I broke my fast. Well, not on purpose, so I'm not flogging myself yet. But habit made me pick up that peppermint candy and put it in my mouth. It was minutes later before I realized it wasn't part of the Fast.
So by sharing this, I commit myself again to this Daniel Fast, and prayer for all people everywhere.