Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day Two: Isaiah 58:1-5

I'd like you to stop and read Isaiah 58. It's my very favorite passage about fasting and we'll take two days to talk about it. This is a message from God through the prophet Isaiah to God's people of Israel who were frustrated with God's lack of response to their fasting. we can learn a lot from God's rant about what fasting's really about. 


This chapter confronts a wrong mindset about fasting that I had to shake. If fasting is a religious act of piety to get God to do what we want, that's really just a passive aggressive hunger strike. We are not on a hunger strike. We are worshiping God. So we must worship Him on His terms. This chapter lays out what worshiping God through fasting should look like.


I think it's easy for us in such a food-centered society (face it, it's true) to quickly allow this time to become all about what we're not eating. There's no point in fasting as far as God is concerned if it's all about food. Unless it's all about God, you might as well not bother. That's not to say that we aren't all getting great health benefits from what we're doing. I mean, I don't know anyone who's fasting from veggies and fruit and healthy stuff. We're all fasting from less healthy stuff. But that's all really secondary to the real, powerful, supernatural, true fasting this chapter is talking about.

So let's commit to our fast with a true picture of what a fasting heart should look like. Let's make it a part of our worship to also lay aside the crankiness, the arguing, the strife, the temper, the self-centeredness, and any of the other behaviors that dishonor God. Let's make our fasting an act of pure worship on God's terms.



Today I will pray that God shows you clearly what HIS plans are for your fast, which may be different than your own goals.  I pray that we will all be able to turn our focus away from what we're not eating and drinking and toward the next steps God will call us to take during this time.

2 comments:

Miss Theresa said...

Amazing how God and I had a similar conversation this morning!

Thank you for your help and encouragement.

Tammy said...

Amen! Our focus is to be God. I also like Matthew 6 where Jesus says we should "not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father". I mentioned it to my family that I would be fasting but I have not reminded them nor shared it with anyone else other than those who have stepped up for accountability like myself. In past it was easy to discuss the woes of fasting while others ate fancy but for me, this year, I am not drawing myself out. There is not a home or restuarant that I can not figure out a meal that would comply with what I have chosen to do.

May God's will be done in our lives and in this time of fasting. As we give the first fruits of our new year to Him... may He have all the glory and honor! "Lord, we love you with our whole hearts, mind and soul. Guide us, direct us, and let us be your clay to mold and fashion. We are yours!"