Friday, January 16, 2009

fast day sixteen: James 1

When I was in the fifth grade, I memorized this entire chapter in the KJV. Before you start thinking I was born holy or something, you should note that I was rewarded for doing it with a free flight to Dallas to see a Mavericks game and we stayed in the Galleria. Thank you Gretchen Hartzog for that! Ever since then, God has used verses from this chapter to illuminate Himself, to offer comfort, to motivate change, and to challenge deep thought.

One of the great things about this chapter is that it refuses to allow itself to be for deep thought alone. It's in this chapter that God lays it on the line and says, "Look, the Bible isn't just for contemplation, it's for life change. Don't just read it, do what it says." Think how many times a day you look in a mirror. Practically any time a human walks past a reflective surface we check ourselves out. Do we really forget what we look like? That's what God says we do with His Word though. We read and turn right around and forget.

Let's not forget. Let's put faith into action. That's the only kind of faith that pleases God. Let's put love into action. That's the only kind of love that's real. If I never read another verse for the rest of my life, I have read quite enough already to instigate a lifetime of growth towards God. What about you? Are you ready to remember?

Read James 1 now. I could never write everything I loved about it. Share what God shows you with the rest of us. You'll have to set up a blogger account (of you don't already have a Google account), but I think you can also leave anonymous comments without that and just tell us who you are in your text.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Yes Indeed! I am thankful for those 'rewards' Gretchen and Larry provided at the Casady Bible study. You never missed a reward they offered, but the much greater reward you have is the WORD you hide in your heart!! God has clever ways of helping us grow and preparing us for our destiny. James remains one of my favs---guiding us in the doing, not mearly hearing God's word.

Tammy said...

It amazes me that so many look to other 'men' to lead them in righteousness but the only one we are to look to is God Himself. As a former JW, that was what I was trained to do. I always read what someone else would tell me God says. Even now, after I have been set free and read for myself, it is amazing how I can get caught up in someone else's appearance of following God or how many of those around me I see doing it. Yet, when I read James..I quicky remember how His word is ment for each of us. I love hearing His word but then seeing the fruit of Doing it as well. Quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath... that has been one I constantly renew myself with. ALSO, there is nothing I want to do apart from God... in vs 17 I always teach with my kids that we are to thank God for every good thing. It is not ourselves to be boasted but ALL the glory goes to Him that created us. It is His doing.