Saturday, January 17, 2009

only a few days left to go!

So how are you feeling about your fast at this point? Even though it's really getting hard to not have the things I really want to eat, in some ways it's getting easier. I've already overcome homemade mac and cheese, pizza, queso and salsa with chips, birthday cake, and, well I better stop. Sorry. But after saying no to that stuff, what's a few more days going to hurt.

I hear lots of good answers to prayer. And I expectantly wait for more. I'd love you to comment on the ways it has effected you spiritually too.

Several people I've talked to are considering extending their fast. I'm going to add a few days to show solidarity to my friends who started on Sunday instead of the first. Some are going to the end of the month and some 40 days. I think if I redefine I can continue on to 40. Giving up movies, TV, and secular music has been really positive and I'll keep that up. (Besides, I just got the DVDs from Catalyst I can't wait to plow through!) I think I'll hang in there with no sweets and no drinks besides water and juice too. I may also continue no meat, but the one thing I crave the most, and I know a some of you are with me on this, is cheese! I don't know what the first post-fast meal is that I want, but I can guarantee you it will be cheesy.

4 comments:

Bea said...

Spiritually, I am most amazed at God's timing and having me 'ready' for some tough assignments. God knew they were coming,but I didn't. When I am living a fasted life--leaving off food, TV.etc, I think more clearly and especially am more tuned in to the Holy Spirit's leadership. Again this week, God had some challenges people were facing and He was able to use me to turn their situation around because the channel was clear. Since we started ECA 22 years ago, God has been so faithful to meet our every need, and along with that He has used a few major challenges to grow us and show us how powerful He is.(James 1--We do count it all joy) This week, on Thursday again, I faced what seemed like another impossible situation. After a day full of dealing with it (in addition to all the usual daily stuff) at 5:45PM it was resolved. There was wonderful progress made with the student and family I was counseling. Sometimes I look around and wonder where that advice came from, certainly not from little ole me. Thank God He has the spirit of wisdom and counsel residing in me to overcome. Fasting always keep me closer to God, since that is my focus, rather than things in the world. Why do we ever go back to cheese?

Bea said...

Really,

Bea said...

Whoops, don't know how that happened.
Anyway, I wanted to add---EVERY January when we fast the first 40 days of the year, we always say--"Why would we go back to cheese, or meat, or sugar, or whatever?" We feel so good, think more clearly, sleep more peacefully and are able to tune in to God's voice more clearly. Think about the benefits to doing it God's way! We humans are sure stubborn and stiff-necked sometimes. So happy for all of us who have chosen to deny our flesh. Hang in there.

hilda said...

What this post has helped me see is that if we want to be free this is a good way to start. I don't want the things are happening in this world to affect me like the people that don't know him. I believe that whatever we have given up during this time...does not compare to what we are doing to received from the ONE who loves us.