Saturday, May 16, 2009

1 Peter 5

My purpose in writing is to encourage you and assure you that what you are experiencing is truly part of God’s grace for you. Stand firm in this grace.

Well Peter, I guess it does to some extent. But remember that part in verses 9 & 10 about suffering? Frankly, it seems like it's been a little longer than a little while. But humility isn't easy peasy you know. Yes, of course you know. We all have the benefit of getting to read about your humbling experiences in the gospels. But it's God's favor I've been praying for and it seems you're suggesting that humility is the path to get there. And that we should humble ourselves instead of waiting to get smacked down by some situation or person or event. I see your point. But again, easier said than done. I feel like I'm already the most humble person on earth. No wait, I think that's Moses actually. But I'm relatively humble if God grades on a curve.

The other part of this little letter that helps me is in verse 8. I typically would read it like this: Stay alert, watch out for your great enemy, [insert foe du jour]. But I need the reminder that there is only one enemy. Daily. Sometimes hourly. Or even momently.

But I actually came here today for verse 6 but 5-7 are actually what I needed. I know a repetitive song for verse 6 that is one of my inner soundtracks. But I really have some cares I need to cast on Him. And not take back.

I got a call today from someone who prays for me (thank you friend) about the next season of my life. She said I have some invisibility still coming. While that's discouraging in some ways, it's not really visibility that I seek. It's more of His face. More of Him and less of me. And that crown you mentioned in verse 4, I'll just be laying that at His feet anyway. So that's all just fine with me.

Thanks for the note Peter. I needed those reminders today.

1 comments:

Bea said...

The road to humility is a long one. Longer for some more than others. When we have been given a 'boat load' of gifts as you have been it puts some twists and turns in the road. None of them take God by surprise and just remember He is grooming us for His next project. He is more than enough along the way. I love verse 10 to know God Himself will restore us and make us strong, firm and steadfast!!!Whoops, there is a little suffering first. Oh well, it is worth it to move into His perfect plan and purpose for our lives. We are merely sojourners here on earth anyway. Enjoy the journey on the way to your destination!! Love you