Sunday, May 31, 2009

2 Kings 5

My pastor Craig Groeschel just wrapped up a series on Elijah. I really like Elijah, really every part of his story, but I also am a big fan of Elisha too. This chapter about Naaman, a foreign dignitary who came to Elisha in hopes of a miracle is a really good one. It's a good story to see some stupid human behaviors that get me into trouble.

Verse 7. Thinking you can read someone's mind. We see the king of Israel completely misjudge the point of Naaman coming. He immediately jumped to the conclusion that Aram was trying to start something. Why do I do this? Why don't I either just choose to think the best of someone or just straight up ask for clarification. But I don't. I think a lot. Hence the whole metacognician thing. But often I let that get me into trouble. I second guess people, even my husband and kids. So stupid. I need to trust God is in control of my relationships and that other people are saying what they are saying.

Verse 11. Asking for help and then rejecting it. Elisha tells Naaman exactly what to do and Naaman rejects his advice. Naaman traveled to another country to seek Elisha's healing power and then was mad that he didn't respond the way he expected. That's definitely a stupid thing I do. I know it's not just me. Have you ever asked someone, en expert maybe, a trusted friend, wise counsel, what to do and then you don't want to do what they say? I mean why did you ask that person if you hadn't already run out of options and think they might have the right answer. The worst though is when we do that to God. Seriously, we need to just accept what people say. I don't mean random unsolicited advice necessarily and I don't mean don't screen everything you hear, but just don't be Naaman.

Verse 17. Making exceptions for doing what's right. Naaman makes a dramatic spiritual commitment to serve God alone. But then he makes an exception for when his boss is looking. Please. How many times do we say we know what's right and commit to do it and then rationalize the times when it makes sense to make an exception. This is especially true of me with eating, exercise, and health-related promises. Even though that doesn't seem spiritual, it is. It's still knowing what's right and choosing not to do it under pressure.

Verse 20. Taking up an offense for someone else. Check. Done that. Mind your own business Gehazi. Elisha said he didn't want any money so leave it be.

Verse 22 and 25. Misrepresenting the truth? No, just call it what it is. Lying. Being deceitful. I like to think I don't lie, but I'm pretty good and leaving out information to better suit the situation or even just tell the story a little differently over time. I learned a lot about this from my husband. He got really adamant about this a couple of years ago and quit cold turkey. It was way harder than he thought and super convicting for me. I appreciate his stance on this because it really challenges me to tell it like it is. Every time.

Verse 26. Seeking personal gain. Gehazi was drawn to the bling. Poor guy. I can relate. Elisha probably got offered great stuff a lot. But never his assistant. That's how it is in ministry a lot. And it's hard, for me anyway. I don't want to want more money. I don't want to want recognition. But it takes daily prayer to remember that really all I want it to bring glory to God. There's a song out now that talks about being tired of having one hand reaching to God and one pushing Him away to go after our own desires. About wanting to have both hands lifted high, reaching toward God. That's where I am often, but I want to live there.

2 comments:

Bea said...

Meaty! I could comment on each one, but gotta' get breakfast ready for a Guatamala mission team--so will respond to one. Just last night I confronted a situation where I had 'read someone's mind'. So thankful for the situation as I thought I was helping the other person (which I believe it did) but in reality it helped me see I was misreading her mind. Father, help me stay on 'my course' and leave others to them.

Bea said...

Then I am always reminded of Jesus words--"Why think ye those evil thoughts?" It is best to not mind read and further just give 'em the benefit of the doubt.