Saturday, August 1, 2009

John 6

They replied, “We want to perform God’s works, too. What should we do?” Jesus told them, “This is the only work God wants from you: Believe in the one he has sent.”

Man, I've sure been busy doing a lot of nothing then. I've worked like crazy over the last six years in ministry trying to do the work of God. Wish I would have taken this verse to heart first. Of course I'm not slowing down a bit on the task before me, but I'm gaining a new perspective that all of that stuff is really not all that big of a deal to God. My career. My house. My stuff. My issues. Even my family. None of that stuff is as important to God as it is for Him to have my heart. I'd like to think He really cares about all that just like I do, but really, I just need to put my whole faith and trust and hope in Christ alone.

If I never wrote another word of curriculum. If I never accomplished anything else. If I didn't even live to see my children serve Him as adults, it would be OK as long as I lived every day from my belief in the miracle of Christ.

This chapter is so amazing. It's just so miraculous and really leaves you speechless to really take it all in. But the very best line in it all goes to Peter. It's my husband's very favorite verse in the whole Bible is verse 68 which to me says this:

"We can't leave you now. Where else would we go? Only you have the words of life. Eternal life is only found in you. We believe you are it. You are God and there is no other."

Human effort accomplishes nothing. That's from verse 63. Are you ready to quit? Give up? I am. I am ready to sit down and eat His flesh and drink His blood and just be a freak to the rest of the world. "Though none go with me, still I will follow."

0 comments: