Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Nahum 2

Wow. I sure wouldn't ever want to be on God's bad side. Nineveh had made enemies with God. Not a good spot to be in. I think in our culture today though we shrink back from this kind of forceful justice. I think we act like God's vengeance and righteousness is always going to take the form of non-violence. And of course Jesus taught us to live that way, but that doesn't tame God at all. Vengeance is His He reminds us. He will repay. And although the forgiveness and mercy and grace are freely offered to all, there are certainly always going to be some who fall under His wrath.

I don't really know what that looks like. Because certainly awful things happen to people and nations that really don't seem to be tied to and judgement God has made on them. So it's hard to know what to make of this side of God, but all I know is that He is awesome and powerful. And I, for one, don't even want to face His wrath. And so, I throw myself on the the mercy of His grace through Christ. I, like Peter, bid Him to wash my hands and face and all of me too. I thank Him for His blood so I can boldly count myself among his friends, not His enemies.

0 comments: