Sunday, September 20, 2009

Acts 3

Peter and John were just going about their daily routine (going to worship at the Temple) and not only was a man's life changed forever, but they got to be a part of an amazing miracle.

I have always liked this story ever since I learned the song as a kid. (It's a good one with motions. Sorry if you don't know it.) But this story reminds me of something I was conveicted about recently. (And yes, it was from a book by a certain Asian-American pastor we all know and love.) My problem is I'm able to do a lot of things like think and problem solve and get things done. That may sound like a good thing, but in many ways, it's a spiritual obstacle. Mainly, that I try to handle things that God would rather do through me with His strength.

But here in Acts 3, because John and Peter aren't trying to solve the man's problem on their own, God showed up and did soemthing that two guys from the country could NEVER have done on their own and everyone knew it. When I notice people saying stuff that gives me credit for anything, that's when I know I haven't really matured yet in this area. I want the good things in my life to be so obviously not me that God immediately gets the credit. I want my life to be defined by God's power and an outpouring of His Spirit. But if that's going to happen, I'm going to have to get me out of the way. Do a lot less thinking and a lot more praying. Do a lot less talking and a lot more listening. Right now I'm praying for some things that are WAY bigger than I could do. I must decrease and He must increase.

0 comments: