Sunday, October 11, 2009

Acts 25

Acts goes on for several chapters tracking Paul's journey to Rome from here. After he appealed to Caesar, that became his ticket to the capital. But man, even reading it, it seems to take forever. I can't imagine what a slow process this must have seemed to him.

But I guess what continues to amaze me about this book is the same thing that always catches me off guard about a good documentary. (Yes, I'm a documentary geek.) You know, when you're way into a part about a never-before-explored underwater cave and you see a human step into it for the very first time and you're totally sucked into the moment and then you realize, "Oh yeah, except that the cameraman got in first and lit it and did a white balance on his camera and a sound check on the mic before they stepped in." You ever think of that? Maybe that's just me and Brannon. But that's the same realization I keep having during Acts. It's written so clearly from an eye-witness viewpoint and yet, Luke never plays a role in the show itself. He's always behind the camera.

To be honest, as great of adventures as Paul has and the incredible ways God uses him, I'd rather be Luke. I'd rather get to have a front-row seat to it all and never even play a cameo. I wonder what that says about me. Reluctant to face that kind of responsibility? I don't know. Just thought I'd throw that out there for you to think about too. Paul? or Luke?

0 comments: